Carol R. Eaton Designs

Carol R. Eaton Designs

FABRIC FOR SALE: click on pages below!

Thursday, February 4, 2016

Combining Surface Design Techniques!

While waiting for my snow dyeing fabrics to cure I switched my energy over a different kind of experiment! I wanted to create something with screen collage. One thing lead to another and I ended up combining a few techniques: color magnet, thermofax screens, screen collage and hand carved stamps... take a peek at the journey
I started with Terri Stegmiller's wonderful Fern thermofax screen (available on Etsy). Rather than screening with paint or thickened dye I used Color Magnet (from Dharma). The idea behind this product is wherever you apply the color magnet it will grab the dye more intensely creating a tone on tone affect. 

Once the color magnet was dry I screened thickened dye across the surface of the fabric. I left the dye to set and then washed it out.The color magnet didn't show as dramatically as I had hoped so I decided it needed more! 

Next I pulled out a couple of hand carved leaf stamps and Speedball fabric paint. I really wanted to highlight Terri's Fern design more so I screened again with burgundy. 

Here is the completed 1 yard piece. The full photo looks a little washed out compared to the actual fabric. It's fun to combine techniques and let the design evolve organically without a specific plan - it's very freeing! 

No comments:

Post a Comment