Carol R. Eaton Designs

Carol R. Eaton Designs

FABRIC FOR SALE: click on pages below!

Thursday, December 10, 2015

Silk + Sharpies + Isopropyl Alcohol!

I've been working with Silk, Sharpies and Isopropyl Alcohol again = yippee! The more I experiment with this technique the more I learn and look forward to expanding my approach!  
After some trial and error I decided the best way to stretch the silk was to use the largest quilt hoop I could find. 

Using permanent Sharpie Markers I colored across the surface of the silk.

It's a very slow process as I move the hoop around to fill up the fabric surface.

Here is a detail shot of dropping the alcohol onto the colors which gets them to move and mingle! As you can imagine this is why the technique takes so long. After dropping alcohol across the surface I let it dry and repeat the step multiple times until I'm happy with the end result. 

Here is the completed orange, brown and green piece!

Detail - orange, brown and green 

This finished piece combines blue, purple and yellow!  

Detail - blue, purple and yellow
When you try this technique please be sure to have a fan in the room. The Sharpies tend to be smelly - not toxic - but not pleasant either! The good news is they dry super fast and you can keep going. 

6 comments:

  1. Beautiful, Carol! I especially love the second one... my colors for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So,so pretty. I really should try this.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Pardon my ignorance, but are these gorgeous fabrics now stable for washing?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I heat pressed the silk and believe it can be spot cleaned or hand washed.

      Delete
  4. Pardon my ignorance, but are these gorgeous fabrics now stable for washing?

    ReplyDelete