Carol R. Eaton Designs

Carol R. Eaton Designs

FABRIC FOR SALE: click on pages below!

Tuesday, July 14, 2015

Summer + Outdoor Workspace = Confetti Dyeing!

Ah... sweet summertime! The time when I can take my studio supplies outdoors to play around and make a big 'ole mess without a care. It's like the freedom of being a child! The biggest mess I make in the studio is when Confetti Dyeing so that was first up on my outdoor agenda. 
This is one of the finished pieces. After I dyed the fabric I painted the surface with a thin wash of sunset colors to enhance the effect. 
SOLD

Usually I add all the colors of dye to the fabric surface before hanging to spray. This time I added one color one at a time. I wondered if the colors would be more distinctive using this method.
Here I have about 3 different colors; violet, cobalt and black. 
I sprinkle the dye onto the surface when it's laying on the ground. When I hang it up I spray with a solution of soda ash and water. This allows the colors to intermingle as they run down the fabric... ooo la la! 
This was the only piece out of the 4 that I painted. I'm thinking about leaving one as is and painting a wash on the others just to change the colors slightly... maybe a wash with some metallic bling in it just for fun? To be continued...

4 comments:

  1. Love to see more of these beautiful skies

    ReplyDelete
  2. Carol, is the top fabric for sale?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Janine! Yes, this piece available. It's 37" X 44" and $27. If you could email me I'll send a full picture of the fabric. The top picture is a detail shot and I want to be sure you'll like the whole piece! There is a lot of dark blue in the overall fabric.

      Thanks!
      CarolReaton@comcast.net

      Delete